Powered by Blogger.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Turning a New Leaf



It's been a while since I've posted here. I've not forgotten this little blog, nor have I completely lost the desire to write and share about food, but little things like, oh, having a baby and living life have gotten in the way. (Yes, I had my baby back in May--a little Mother's Day gift! His name is Alex, and he's adorable.) I realized this week that I also lost focus too. This blog started out as a way to document my food life in France as well as how and what I was learning to cook. When I returned to the United States, that purpose disappeared.

I would like to come back to this place (if you'll have me!) again, but with a different focus in mind. I'm still working through this, but since returning from France, we have moved more and more toward local and organic foods whenever possible. (For an article I wrote for Fake Food Free as a guest post about this cultural move back to the States, go here.) Surprisingly, my little town in Kentucky is alive with local farmers who sell anything from veggies to honey to beef to lamb, at least during the summer. There's also an organic co-op about 45 minutes away that supports local farmers. The local Kroger has expanded its organic section, even if it's not very local, and we just found out that a butcher shop that focuses on natural meat is opening up nearby. We've been shopping more and more at these places, and I'd like to share my journey here.

Carl, the farmer in charge of our CSA shares six months
out of the year, from Rolling Fork Farm

We're just a normal family (now of four!) who is trying to eat deliberately. Does that mean that I'm giving up my occasional Coke? No. It means that I'll cut back a little, but also keep an eye on all of that other high fructose corn syrup in our foods (and try to sneak Mexican Coke--made with sugar-- whenever possible!) Does it mean that we won't buy imported foods? No. It means that whenever we can, we'll buy locally or organically, but we love our cultural foods too much to cut out the imports completely. What I'd like to show here is that a normal family can cook and eat responsibly without breaking the bank...and, oh, enjoy their food as well!**


**Just a couple of days ago we ran into the realities of supporting local farming. We received an email from our CSA farm (a certified organic farm) apologizing for the low levels of produce we're going to be receiving until the fall crop comes in because of very hot, very wet weather here in central Kentucky. We won't be receiving as much as we're used to, but I feel like this type of problem is even more reason to support local farming. It's also interesting because it makes me think more about what the "farms" that supply chain grocery stores have to do to make their produce grow in such adverse conditions. I'd rather cut back or repeat veggies than eat whatever it is that's put on the produce or in the ground to make that stuff grow!

And Carl, if you are reading this, we appreciate all you do to bring us fresh, healthy veggies every week!

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

8 comments:

Chef E August 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

Oh Mindy congrats on the baby, girl or boy, Alex is hard to tell :)

I am glad you are back, I loved your blog! No matter what your topic!

Darcy,  August 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Glad to read your blog again! Also...I'm jealous but excited about all the changes going on in Danville!

Unknown November 25, 2014 at 11:17 PM  

During the time, Omega possibly simply observed the particular Omega Speedmaster being a fake rolex uk watch for utilize in the world rather than actually somewhere else, since 1957 has been the full ten decades just before NASA hublot replica uk certified the particular Omega Speedmaster regarding area. As an element of the particular Omega Speedmaster account nonetheless, this kind of observe is obviously essential, as well as the up to date hair styling will be definitely pleasant to be able to Omega Speedmaster followers. The particular '57 separates alone such as together with devoid of any african american bezel since rolex replica sale noticed around the Moonwatches. This kind of imparts an even more standard chronograph seem and also often, contains an even more as compared to stunning fake gucci sale likeness for the Rolex Daytona. That is specifically when matched with all the smooth diamond together with covered and also finished back links. I might choose this kind of model with the Omega Speedmaster easily have been a lot more likely with a standard chronograph seem and also had not been enticed a great deal chanel replica bags for the bolder Moonwatch deviation.

Obiuser May 2, 2018 at 3:09 AM  

Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once
Cara Mengatasi Gangguan Lutut Kopong Secara Alami

Post a Comment

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Google Analytics Alternative