Powered by Blogger.

Friday, January 23, 2009

How to Use a Whole Chicken Three Ways--Part II, Curried Chicken Salad

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had about a week when I craved chicken and chicken skin. My husband thought I had gone crazy because I normally won't touch chicken skin with a ten-foot pole, but that craving only lasted a week and was followed by a bodily moratorium on poultry. I'd only ever heard of people craving food, not rejecting it, but I wasn't worried since I seemed sickened only by poultry (which made Thanksgiving and Christmas a lot of fun, by the way!). From about the 8th week until the day after I gave birth, not a bite of poultry passed my lips. The day after my daughter was born, I was fine with it again...almost. Nowadays, I just cannot eat microwaved chicken. I don't know what it is, but the microwave changes the taste for me.

Which leads me to chicken leftovers...what to do with them since a quick microwaved leftover meal is now out of the question? My solution? A chicken salad with a twist--curry powder. I found the recipe in a cookbook focusing on the busy parent I found for a few dollars somewhere. I can't remember the name of the book (sorry!), but I swear I'll look it up when I return to Kentucky and back to my cookbooks!

My husband loves this recipe and so do I. The garlicky, herbed chicken mixed with the curry mayo and the crunchiness of the apples and onions create a flavorful, moist combo that gets better after a day or so. It's also a very forgiving recipe. Don't have 2 cups of chicken? Make it with one. Don't have a green apple? Make it with a red one. (I had to use a Pink Lady for this go around, and it tasted great.) No mango chutney? Add a little apricot jam. Try different types of onions until you hit one that works for you. I normally put yellow onion in it because that's what I have on hand, but red tastes even better, and I think that green onions would add a mellower flavor and punch up the color.

Enjoy!


Curried Chicken Salad with Green Apple

1/4 cup curried mayo (See below)
1 Tbl minced onion
2 cups diced chicken
1/2 tart green apple
2 Tbl mango chutney (optional--but it really does add great flavor!)
Baby salad greens or arugula

Mix all ingredients (except lettuce) and serve on bread as a sandwich or on a bed of greens as a salad.

Curried Mayo

1/4 cup mayo
1 Tbl Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp curry powder

Combine ingredients and mix well.

6 comments:

Lori January 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

Thanks for the recipe! I love curry chicken salad. During our trip to Jamaica I had curry chicken salad over greens with mango chutney. Wonderful. That additon in your recipe made me think of it.

BTW, I didn't realize you were from KY. We lived there before our move to Brazil and will probably return for at least a few years when we move back.

Mindy January 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

Lori, I'm not actually from Kentucky, but moved there about 6 years ago. Maybe we'll have to have a blogger meetup when we both return. :-)

Lori January 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Sounds good to me. I'm not from KY either. We moved there in 2002. Right now it is the most convenient place to go back too after our abroad experience.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Google Analytics Alternative